Ilocandia Nostalgia

I always remember my Ilocos trip with fondness because Ilocos appeals so much to that part of me that values the past and history. I particularly liked Vigan and all of its "old" structures, museums and of course, the world renowned "Heritage Village." I was able to take lots of pictures there.

I remember taking a picture of a particular structure in one of the museums we visited. I was greatly amused when the caretaker informed us it used to be the "comfort room." However, I particularly liked the picture I took below. I was inside the Burgos Museum looking out. The calesa featured here is the one we hired for the day. It took us all over Vigan and somewhat lent "authenticity" to the entire experience. What could be more fitting than revisiting the past while riding in a calesa? =)



















Attended a training at DAP Pasig, September of 2004. Had sessions at DAP and stayed at Linden Suites for 5 days. On the weekend, Te Jean and I took advantage of our being in Luzon and decided to take a sidetrip in Ilocos.

We took the 10:00 PM bus ride for Vigan after our dinner date with our president at Greenbelt. Arrived in Vigan at around 6:00 AM. We had breakfast at their Chowking there. I must add that the architecture was great. Even their new buildings there were designed to match the "vintage" look that Vigan's Heritage Village has been known for. Check out the Mc Donald's Picture below.

We practically spent the entire morning going around Vigan. After lunch -- had an eggplant dish called "pinuque" (I know, I know, it sounds weird hehe but it was really great-tasting. Hmm.. I wonder if that's the reason how it got its name hehehe) -- we caught the bus bound for Marco's hometown in Batac. We browsed at the Marcos Museum there and queued up for a view of his remains. Hmm... how morbid could that sound -- remains. Anyway, the mausoleum where he lay was pretty morbid itself. It was dark and cold. Plus, there was a "requiemic"-sounding music in the background that only -- in my opinion -- made the atmosphere the more.. gloomy.


After that we took a tricycle ride (yup! we were that poor hehehe) to see the Malacanang of the North. They called it "Balay Ti Amianan." Then we went to see the breath-taking Paoay Church. I've always been fascinated with Churches. in my travels, I make it a point to visit renowned old churches of the place. I dream of coming up with a complete album of the churches I visited. I may post one here one day. But anyway, I'm digressing here. All I wanted to say was that of all the churches I've been to, Paoay Church simply took my breath away. It was majestic in a dramatic sort of way. Taal Church is buge and great but Paoay has a certain quality to it that is quite unique. I find it difficult to find the words to describe how majestic it was.

After Paoay, we toured a bit of Fort Ilocandia then we proceeded to Laoag. It had started to rain. I knew we could forego Laoag altogether but as usual I did my research before I went on travel. My "bible" -- 26 Days Around the Philippines -- specifically said that the Laoag Church and its sinking tower is worth seeing. So I was definitely dead-set about seeing it. Besides, we were already there and just a tricycle ride away. We practically just had to cross that great bridge to get to Laoag and so off we went.

The church was in renovation when we got there. It wasn't as "old"-looking as I would have wanted it to be. And the sinking tower was a disappointment too. It was located right-smacked in the city's busy street. And while there was a signage announcing its historical value, it was obvious that the locals did not quite regard it as such. But of course I could not pass on any judgment. I had only been there for a day.

What was great about my Laoag experience though was the night market. Ukay-ukay, plastic wares and anything saleable that one could imagine abound right on the street where the sinking tower was. It was just across the city's Chowking outlet where Ate Jean and I had our afternoon halo-halo and dinner afterwards.

I checked out the ukay-scene and came up with a real neat cardigan overcoat that was too small for me. Well it looked new and I was hoping I'd lose enough weight to finally fit it. I ended up giving it away to a cousin. Anyway, I was crazy about board shorts then too and checked out every short there was. I did not find anything worth buying though. There were a few ones that caught my fancy but they were quite pricey so..

We toured a bit of Laoag downtown and tried our best to take a decent picture of the province's capitol at night-time. I must add the attempt did not result to anything much. My digital camera konked out even before we were out of Vigan. We only had Ate Jean's camera then. That also explains why there are no more pictures here after the ones I took in Vigan. I just would have to scan most of the Ilocos pictures we had of this trip. Soon, I hope to find the time.

At around 9:00 PM, we caught the last trip bound for Manila. I was excited to find out we chance upon a "coached-type" bus. Ate Jean and I each had one "bed" to ourselves. The bus was roomy and it allows us to recline our seats so we could sleep comfortably. It was real cold though that I was glad I brought a good jacket with me. We nearly fell off our seats though when we found out how much the fare was. We paid close to 800 pesos each. And that was in 2004 yet, way before the gasoline increase chu-chu.

I thought it was worth it though. After moving around Ilocos in a humble tricycle, I think we deserve to cap the day by traveling in style =) I'm not sure about looking stylish then though. There I was, slouching in my seat in my attempt to ward off the cold while I keep a close eye on a native abacca bag I bought in Vigan. It looked stylish alright although quite misshapen by the number of little burnay jars i stuffed it with. Believe me, if only there was a way to bring with me the real big ones, I knew I would have bought one. I was that smitten by it. I don't know why =)

Below are some of the pictures I took while in Vigan. For more pictures, you can take a look at my multiply page.

























Comments

Popular Posts