Returning to Bangkok

I was busy that entire week.  On the day that we were scheduled to fly to Manila to catch our connecting flight to Bangkok, I was actually still at two cities behind, wrapping up an important activity of the project I'm currently engaged in.  I woke up real early, eager to go back to Davao, and really hoping that I would have enough time to spend with the kids before taking my flight later that day.  After all, I've been gone three days before and I would be overseas for seven nights more.  (Every time I go on travel, the kids and I usually count the nights instead of days as it meant the number of nights we won't be sleeping together)

I decided to take the rest of the afternoon off and applied for a leave.  I'd rather spend the rest of the afternoon with the kids than be in the office.  I was careful about tying loose ends and work commitments though prior to taking a week-long leave.

As it was, there was very little time left before Mama and I rushed to the airport to catch our flight to Manila.  I noted with misgivings how my wallet contained pesos in a few thousand rather than the baht and dollars I would be needing for the trip.  I consoled myself that I had with me my ATM that is acceptable internationally.

As expected, there were tear-jerking moments with Forest at the airport.  Even though we have best prepared her for the parting by repeatedly telling her we are going away for some time, she still held on to me and cried.  For a hundredth time I felt I should have just included them in the trip.  But then again, Rod and Janin have just started school and it would also be really costly to have them all tag along.  I also reminded myself that this trip is all about Mama and not about me at all.  Mama's getting old and soon enough a trip like what we are about to embark on (endless walking and touring on temples) would be something that she couldn't stand any more.  I consoled myself with the thought that I could always schedule another trip with the kids and Tatay some other time.

We had a backpack and a personal bag each.  It wasn't really that we are going for the "backpacker" mode of travel but more like saving a few bucks for buying tickets with no check-in bags :P   Besides, with travelling as an inseparable link to my job, I have long mastered and valued travelling light.  I had but an average backpack but I had all the essentials I need, including a very minute and handy electric iron and a few blouses to spare. The trick was to pack flimsy, no-need-to-iron blouses and tops that could be folded until they're about the size of my palm.  The electric iron was for the capri's and skirt I brought with me.  They were actually the only items that were bulky in my pack - the iron, the two pairs of capri's and the almost-to-the-ankle gypsy skirt that has now become my leisure-travel-must-have :P  I must have been a gypsy in a recent-past life.  That would help explain the wanderlust :P

I was too busy even at the last minute that Mama and I never really had a chance to talk about the trip.  I just told her to travel light, pack capri's and shawls instead of bulky jeans and jackets.  I did relent to her bringing along a cardigan.  I knew, that it being her first overseas trip, she must have a thousand and one questions she wanted to ask me.  But even before I left Cotabato and while I was away on travel, we had conversations (via fone) about the what-to's and how-to's.

When we arrived in Manila, we got tagged from behind by Ate Tata and Kuya Jun who have arrived earlier than us from Butuan.  Soon after, Kuya Jun took his leave from us.  He's in Manila for schooling prior to another engagement.  We soon queued for check-in.  And only in the Philippines, we queued for the travel tax that had to be settled before we leave the country.  Each of us paid around Php 1620.  At the immigration counter, Mama and I did not have a hard time.  My passport clearly showed I've been to Bangkok before.  Once I relayed I'm just taking my mother to see the place, we got stamped immediately with the woman behind the counter giving me the sweetest smile.  Ate Tata who was in a separate line got to answer a few questions.  When she pointed me out to the immigration officer, she got the go-ahead. I was famished as I never had a decent meal that day so they accompanied me while I had my dinner.  They had theirs while I was queuing up at the check-in counter.  


We still had a two hours to spare but before we knew it, we were already on off in the air.  Ate Tata got assigned to another row.  However, the one next to me was empty and so I asked the flight attendant if Ate Tata could sit there instead.  She said that she can do so after take off.  And so she did.  


I drifted on and off the entire trip.  I was very tired after all, leaving Cotabato very early that day.  I immediately remembered, by the time I'd land in Bangkok, I would be in my 4th city that day.  I had the window seat and Mama was right next to me.  Ate Tata got the aisle seat.  As we were about to land, the city lights down below are getting all the more conspicuous.  Mama was peering the whole time and remarking how Bangkok appears to be very huge.  I told her, Bangkok is very much like Manila but only with Thai signs :)

Once we landed, we immediately sought out a money exchange booth.  We had to have spare baht change for the taxi fare.  I exchanged just enough for the fare. After all, there are a lot of money exchangers back at Khaosan.

Even if I knew that the immigration booths are still way off, I asked Mama and Ate Tata to pose for pictures.   It is after all, their first overseas trip.  It was only when I noticed a group of Koreans that I hurried them along.  I almost groaned out loud noticing it must be that kind of week where there are several Korean tourists by the busloads who would be lining up through immigration.  I did not relish spending another sleepless night with a full day "walking" schedule looming in the morning.  Fortunately, while there were indeed several Koreans there, we were well ahead of them in queuing up.  The only snag we hit was when Mama got stalled because while I was able to fill up her arrival form while still on the plane, I forgot to have her sign them.  But it was a breeze after that.  We had a bit of a difficulty with the taxi ride though.

As was the case, even though we queued up for a metered ride, the taxi driver refused to set on the meter and charged us 450 for the entire ride.  Ate Gaga who arrived a day earlier had informed they paid 300 baht only including the express way toll fees. I argued the whole way but the driver would not budge.  He pointed out we were tourists and so we must have a lot of money.  I countered by saying we are not tourists exactly and whatever money we have was already spent on the plane tickets and hotels.  It was only when he asked the exchange rate between the peso and baht that he relented but still not quite.  I told him 1 baht is higher by around 50 cents when compared with the Philippine peso.  He relented by charging us 400 baht instead.  Still, I felt ripped off.

I got disoriented when we arrived at Trang Hotel.  I always pictured it to be at the corner of Khaosan.  It turned out, while it's still in Khaosan district, the hotel is way off Khaosan Road.  Still it was a nice hotel.  Once we arrived, I rang up Ate and Tunga's hotel room and a few moments after, there was Ate in her pyjamas giving us all a hug.  It was a happy feeling being reunited and all.

I'm always happy returning to Bangkok with it's weekend market and countless knick knacks that I would love to adorn my home with.  It's still the cheapest place to be in and yet with everything it has to offer, one would never feel shortchanged.  Most of all, I'm happy to have brought Mama along :)











Comments

Popular Posts