Chasing the Sound of Music

The opening credit to the movie

Today.  Went hot on the trail of where some of the scenes of an all-time favourite, "Sound of Music" got filmed.  Went to both the panoramic view which served as the musical's opening scenes, down to where the singing scense were shot.  It was amazing!

Before I took the trip to Vienna, I already booked the tour to Salzburg, most specifically, the "Sound of Music Tour."  I'm not very fond of big tour buses and the big crowds that go with it.  So I looked for a small group tour.  Booked it immediately when I found one.  

I was picked up last from my hotel.  Must be because many of them are from the city centre.  We had a newly wed Americans with us who were likely in their early 20s.  There's an elderly couple as well who are likely in their retirement trip :)  They stayed in Sheraton, we were told.  I felt a bit self-conscious as I was staying in Ibis, quite clean but not pricey at all haha There were 8 of us in total.  There were two friends female friends, myself and another female solo traveler.  We rode a mini-van.  Half-way, we stopped by a convenience store to buy water and some snacks.  

Unterach am Attersee
Our first stop after that was Unterach village at Lake Attersee. The view going up was quite beautiful. We've passed by many bike-riders and was told it is a common sight during summer and spring.  

There were these old-barn looking houses with lots of flowers by the window sills.  Quite lovely picture they painted.  Our driver/guide explained that in the old times, the animals and humans actually live together thus the houses looks like they are barns coz they,  partly, actually are.  He explained that, especially during winter, all the livestock in the middle of the house actually provide heating as well to the entire house.  



What tickled me pink though was having found out that there is a bust of Gustav Klimt there and that the big belfry in town actually featured in one of his paintings. Couldn't miss taking a photo beside the bust with the belfry in the background.  

After that we proceeded to Salzburg, starting on top of a hill where we could see the same view depicted in the opening scene of the movie (see photo above.) It felt surreal.  There I was staring at it in person.  And it wasn't something I aimed or plan for.  Sure, I grew up to "Sound of Music."  I think around 80% of Filipino kids are indoctrinated into the movie by the time they are 6 years old hahaha

After that, we made the rounds to other significant places in the movie.  I got so excited when we arrived at the fountain where Maria sang, "I got confidence in me!"  I wanted to sing myself haha

I got confident in me!!!! 


At Mirabelle Gardens we saw the particular garden where the Do Re Mi scene was shot.  It was amazing seeing it firsthand. I was all the more amazed at the thought of it staying and looking the same after all these years!  We saw there as well the statues that were imitated by Kurt.

Do Re Mi!
Kurt scene

After that, we were given free time to explore Salzburg Old Town on our own. I thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly the visit to the Mozart museum.  
 















Comments

Popular Posts