Apo Recall

Rewritten from a piece of crumpled paper
Jan 25, 2003
7:28 p.m.
Inside tent, light coming from a headlamp suspended
at the tent's ceiling, B's chest as desk


Taking a peek at Apo. I took this photo while we stopped to register
at the designated place upon reaching Kapatagan in Davao del Sur Posted by Hello

Apo's peak. Rain beating down our tent and a portion of our flooring -- make that two portions on the last check up -- threatening to flood us in. Well, it wouldn't be the first time. Last night, we desperately clung to our own little "island" inside our tent. The whole floor was wet and if it weren't for a little portion kept dry by the earth pad we've spread, we would have slept "floating" on our backs. Tonight, we're "blessfully" dry.

We've passed through the Kapatagan Trail. Quite far huh! It took two days before we reached the peak. Last night, we've slept in the forest and it had rained even before we've reached the campsite. And it was cold! The kind that reaches to the very bone. I could almost imagine my whole insides shaking. And they must be!

Today, it rained again, even before we reached the peak. We were half-way through the boulder trail when it rained. Hard. Thankfully, there was no accompanying wind. And I was already exhausted by then. The boulder trail was great but from goody-goody (that clearing in the forest that also serves as a campsite) till there was quite an arduos climb (well, at least at this time, with my pack and all). Edoc and Stephen had been ahead of us and it was quite "disheartening" having to look up and seeing how "tiny" they both looked against the big rocks. It meant we still have a long way to go. I could only imagine how the others from the group must have felt since they are still way, way down below us. Their pace is somewhat slower compared to ours.


Boulder trail. Hmm... exhaustion written all over my face huh? =) Posted by Hello

It did not help that the trail was quite confusing. The boulders had us second guessing all the time. Most of the time we were confused as to which way is up. Or more appropriately, which way up is the shortest and easiest. There was nothing but rocks everywhere -- huge ones -- and choosing the easiest, shortest way up is tricky. It's easy to get "lost" there which is ironic considering at that point, the peak is very clearly in sight already. Using one's vision as gauge, one could make the mistake of assuming that the peak is already within one's reach. Most likely, that isn't the case. "Peak-within-reach" actually translates -- "peak after two to three hours of climbing." And that is on a somewhat faster pace. Our Marco Polo companions took another hour before reaching the dead lake or the old crater. And that is still thirty minutes away from the peak.



Beautiful backdrop with the sulphur "fumes" creating a wonderful effect.
But the smell had been overpowering, somehow making our ascent a bit more difficult than it already is. Posted by Hello

We arrived at the dead lake way ahead of the others. We found Edoc and Stephen waiting for us there. All of us were already shivering from the cold. As for me, I was beginning to feel really exhausted. It was quite a climb from the boulders. Plus, there's the smell of the sulphur from the vents we encountered on our way up that was not exactly "helpful" to our cause. And the rain only made it worse. With Edoc teasing us that he had already washed up while waiting for us, we followed suit. The "boys" fetched us "girls" some water. There were three of us - Bambie, Renee and myself - and we were alloted two (2) Nalgene containers each. B gave me three (3) which only illicited further teasing from the group. We girls took turn hiding in the "bush" to do our thing hehe. The boys braved the cold water of the dead lake and took a dip.


Dead Lake or the Old Crater at Apo. Taken shortly upon our arrival there. Shown here are Stephen, Bambie, Renee, myself and B. Posted by Hello

We waited till the rain stopped before continuing with our trek up the peak. We're still a good 30-minutes away. And I was already feeling very tired. My backpack is starting to feel really heavy. And believe me, it is. Half of me wanted to surrender my pack for someone else to carry. I was that tired already. Still, half of me also recognizes that everyone is as tired as I am. I have no right to pass on to them my burden. I envied Renee and Bambie and their little bag. Each took turn carrying a small day pack and a little tupperware container. If one carries the pack, the other carries the tupperware which contains fresh eggs. When I asked them what the eggs are for, they said they will be using it for the pancakes they will be making. Pancakes! On Apo! =) But really, in truth, I didn't want to give up my pack. B offered to carry it for me but I took a look at his tall, fully packed Alpine pack and I immediately turned down his offer. But aside from that, I also wanted to complete the experience - climbing with my pack, feeling exhausted and all. Giving up my pack somehow felt like cheating on the experience.

By 4:00 in the afternoon, we were already at the peak. Sadly, I was too tired and too cold to feel euphoria. Still, I was a bit more cheerful than usual. Knowing the conditions at the peak, we immediately looked for a good place to set up our tents. The good thing about it is that, we were the sole group there. So the mountain was practically just "ours"... And what could be more wonderful than that?

The others arrived quite late. So dinner took quite some time. But that was fine by me. I was too "frozen" to do much moving about. Even changing from my wet trekking clothes into dry ones required much effort. Since B and I are vegetarians, we cooked a separate dinner for ourselves. They had spaghetti. We had garlic button mushrooms instead and some soup. I envied their Spaghetti and mentally took note to include that in the menu next time.

So here we are, with the rain outside - not to mention the notorious Apo peak winds beating the walls of our tent - we could hardly do any "socializing." I guess the others, being beginners, would also prefer to catch up on sleep too. There's still some trekking to do tomorrow. I am tired myself. I wouldn't mind sleeping early....

Comments

Popular Posts