Angkor Wat (Temple Tour Day 1)


I arrived at the hotel at a little over 10:00 AM. That meant I’ve travelled for 24 hours straight – sitting time at the airport and bus stations included. I was tired and would have wanted to just nap but I did not hesitate when the hotel staff suggested utilizing the afternoon for the beginning of my Temple tour. I’m glad I did. Spent a glorious afternoon touring the temples particularly Angkor Wat.


On our way to the temple complex I spotted lots of tourists on their bicycles (rented), also appearing to be on their way there. I felt envious looking at them since they look like little kids really having some fun and adventure.

I hired a tour guide for the purpose although it cost me quite a lot. But it sure was nice hearing about the stories behind the temples. He also came in handy when it came to climbing through steep steps in some parts of the temples particularly back at Bayon and specially so at Phnom Bakeng which sits on top of a mountain. The steps are pretty narrow and steep, they were difficult enough to climb and much so in going down. It is quite daunting looking down at the sheer drop and the steps - the size of which could hardly support a foot of a small child - how much more that of an adult. Plus, there were also some parts that were in crumble, making it totally unsafe and hard to maneuver. But I managed it just the same, thanks to my guide's help. And so did a lot of elderly tourists who seem to arrive by the numbers, all waiting for their turn to view the sunset. I admired their strength. It was quite a climb. I myself had to stop and take a rest at one point and I'm not exactly an elderly hehe

One has to secure a permit or day pass at the complex's entrance. $20 for a day pass, $40 for a three day pass and $60 for a 7-day pass. They take your picture and stamp that on the pass card. I'm thinking of having mine laminated as a souvenir hehe.

The first time I caught a glimpse of Angkor Wat I felt my heart stop. The temple was simply majestic. The mere size of it was already quite... breath-taking. And the architecture... It's quite difficult to describe it in words. It's no wonder thousands of tourists flock to see it everyday.

I was filled with so much gratitude at being given a chance to be there. There are moments when I would just say to myself how I could not believe being finally there.

Bayon Temple was great too, with the four-faced citadel, making it very unique and quite interesting. It wasn't as grand as Angkor Wat but it wasn't less beautiful either.

More pictures at my facebook account :)



Comments

Popular Posts